Energy & climate

As a resources company we operate many energy-intensive processes along the entire value chain, from extraction of the raw materials and production to transportation of the finished product. In doing so, we implement effective energy management and use the best technologies on the market. By continuously optimising our logistics processes worldwide, we help to reduce the pollution caused by emissions.

Making energy efficient

Our energy management system contributes to more efficient use of the sources of energy utilised and to continuous optimisation of K+S energy costs. We operate a DIN EN ISO 50001-certified energy management system at all of our German companies with production sites. We regularly conduct energy audits in accordance with DIN EN ISO 16247 at all other German companies. A Group-wide concept for energy management is being developed and the introduction of ISO 50001 at our sites outside Germany has begun.

The energy sources used differ depending on the location of the mines and production facilities. 85 percent of the steam and power generation in Germany uses the primary energy source natural gas, with the remaining 15 percent is based on energy generated from an incineration plant. Six of our seven German potash plants have their own power stations, which operate in accordance with the cogeneration system (CHP). Their efficiency level is 90 percent. We also operate two out of seven drying facilities using the CHP system.

In recent years, our company Morton Salt converted two coal-powered operating sites in the United States to natural gas as a reduced-emissions energy source. This has led to a substantial reduction in CO2 emissions across the Group. In addition, we are examining the possibility of using renewable energy sources – sun and/or wind – at three production sites in North America and one in the Bahamas.

Due to the use of solution mining as an extraction method at our new mine in Bethune, Canada, as well as the continuing expansion of the other underground raw material mining areas and the higher energy costs this entails, we anticipate increasing specific demand for primary energy.

Optimising logistics processes

Our international logistics network ensures a smooth flow in the supply chain and transports our products to our customers all over the world on schedule and with the lowest possible environmental impact. Global transport chains are managed holistically and regularly optimised so as to ensure a high level of efficiency. The resulting transport routes are designed to be as short as possible in order to further reduce the environmental impact of transporting our products, among other things. Logistics experts at many locations around the world liaise closely with our service providers in order to optimally align their services with our customers’ requirements.

We have set ourselves ambitious energy & climate targets for 2030:

  • Based on the figure for 2017, we will reduce our specific CO2 footprint for all electricity used by 20 percent by 2030. The total electricity consumed is composed of electricity generated and used directly by the K+S Group and, indirectly, of electricity purchased and used by the K+S Group. (2017 data: 302.50 kgCO2/MWh)
  • By 2030, we aim to reduce specific greenhouse gas emissions (CO2) in logistics operations by 10 percent. This applies to the emissions of our outgoing shipments measured in kilograms of CO2 equivalents per tonne-kilometre (tank-to-wheel).



Print version  |  Return to Top
Follow us  LinkedInGlassdoorkununuXINGYouTubeInstagram